Canada Tariff Retaliation: Trade Talks With U.S. Suspended
Prime Minister Mark Carney has confirmed Canada tariff retaliation measures after last-minute trade talks with the United States collapsed on Friday. He suspended negotiations and called his team back to Ottawa. As a result, new 50 per cent tariffs on Canadian exports took effect at 12:01 a.m.
Why the Canada-U.S. Trade Deal Fell Apart
Carney said his negotiators made real progress in recent weeks. However, he explained that the final U.S. proposal fell short of Canada’s goals. He stated:
“In recent weeks, we made important progress toward improving Canada’s position as having the best deal in the world with the U.S.” “However, that progress has not been enough to meet our objectives for Canadians.”
Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc and chief negotiator Janice Charette spent nearly two weeks in Washington. They held multiple hours of talks with U.S. officials on Friday alone. Despite that effort, the two sides could not close the gap in time.
Carney praised his team’s persistence throughout the process. He said:
“They have worked hard, in good faith, to defend the interests of Canadians throughout these negotiations up until the very last minute.” Still, he added that late changes to U.S. terms made a fair deal impossible: “last-minute changes in the U.S. proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal.”
What the New Tariffs Target
The fresh U.S. tariffs hit roughly $28 billion in Canadian goods. Products affected range from hockey sticks and honey to essential oils and dairy items. Meanwhile, Canada has not yet released details on which American goods it will target in return.
Carney also promised new support measures for Canadian workers and businesses. These plans are expected in the coming days. Therefore, affected industries should watch for federal announcements soon.
U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer blamed Canada for the breakdown instead. He argued that Washington had offered strong terms. According to Greer, “new demands and walk-backs of other commitments by Canada have upended the careful balance reached in the past days.”
Greer also pointed to Canada’s existing trade restrictions as a sticking point. He referenced ongoing measures against American products, including bans on certain goods and services. Consequently, he called the failed deal a “missed opportunity” for both countries.
He noted the U.S. had offered significant tariff cuts on steel, aluminum, autos, and lumber. In exchange, Washington wanted specific concessions from Canada. The offer also included talks on a broader economic and security partnership, plus formal USMCA negotiations.
CUSMA Review Adds Pressure
The Trump administration chose not to extend CUSMA in July. That decision triggered an annual rolling review of the agreement, which could last up to a decade. If all three countries fail to agree on an extension, the deal would eventually expire.
Mexico and the United States have already launched formal CUSMA talks. Ottawa and Washington, however, have not yet started similar negotiations. This gap adds further uncertainty to the broader trade relationship.
Earlier on Friday, Trump described the Canada talks as “moving along.” Still, LeBlanc told reporters there was “more work to do” before any agreement could be finalized. The gap between those statements foreshadowed the eventual breakdown.
Provinces Rally Behind Ottawa’s Response
Several premiers quickly backed Carney’s decision to fight back. Ontario Premier Doug Ford broke his earlier silence and offered his “full support” for a strong response. He added: “As we fight to protect Canadian sovereignty and economic security, everything needs to be on the table.”
British Columbia Premier David Eby struck a similarly firm tone. He said “our politeness should never be mistaken for weakness” and promised, “We’ll always defend ourselves. We didn’t ask for this, but we’ll keep fighting for as long as it takes.”
Former Alberta Premier Jason Kenney also voiced approval. He argued that Canada had negotiated in good faith but would not back down now. In his words, “we are not cravenly surrendering in the face of constant economic and political aggression.”
Other provincial leaders echoed a unified message. New Brunswick’s Susan Holt urged residents to buy local and support home-grown businesses. Meanwhile, PEI Premier Rob Lantz reaffirmed his commitment to the “Team Canada” approach that has guided the country through the dispute.
Not every premier shared the same tone, though. Alberta Premier Danielle Smith called herself “deeply disappointed” that no deal was reached, warning that “no one benefits from a trade war.” She still welcomed federal relief plans and urged a quick return to the negotiating table.
Business Leaders Warn of Economic Fallout
Candace Laing, president of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce, described the tariffs as a serious blow. She called the situation “a body blow to North American competitiveness in this self-defeating trade saga.” For smaller exporters, she said, the impact is immediate and personal.
She explained that a heavy, unabsorbable tariff simply is not sustainable for many businesses. As she put it, business owners must now look at “your orders, your payroll and your employees and asking what you can still afford.” In short, the tariffs threaten jobs on both sides of the border.
Laing also warned that Americans will face higher costs as a result. At the same time, Canadian businesses may lose customers and investment. Overall, she expects the economic strain to grow the longer the dispute continues.
Background: How the Dispute Escalated
Trump first threatened these tariffs back in July. He initially set an August 19 deadline for a deal, then paused the tariffs briefly while talks continued. Ultimately, that pause did not lead to a lasting agreement.
Washington had cited several ongoing irritants throughout the process. These included limited U.S. access to Canada’s dairy market and provincial bans on American alcohol. Most provinces removed U.S. liquor from shelves last year after earlier tariff disputes.
Those bans remain in place everywhere except Saskatchewan and Alberta. Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said this week that Carney essentially told premiers there would be no deal without restoring U.S. alcohol sales. As Kinew described it, “I wouldn’t say that he was begging us, but what is a step before begging?”
What Comes Next for Canada and the U.S.
For now, both countries face a period of heightened tension and economic uncertainty. Canada’s retaliatory tariff list has not yet been published, but officials say details will follow soon. Meanwhile, businesses on both sides brace for higher costs and disrupted supply chains.
The broader CUSMA review process will likely shape talks going forward. Until Ottawa and Washington restart formal negotiations, this Canada tariff retaliation stand-off is expected to continue. Canadians, meanwhile, are watching closely to see how the federal government’s promised relief measures take shape.