Skip to main content

currentmaple.com

Thursday, August 20, 2026

Current Maple

Independent Canadian News

U.S. alcohol deal prompts Canada to restock liquor shelves
U.S. alcohol deal prompts Canada to restock liquor shelves

U.S. Alcohol Deal: Premiers Asked to Restock Liquor Shelves

Canada’s new U.S. alcohol deal could soon bring American wine, beer, and spirits back to store shelves nationwide. Prime Minister Mark Carney has reportedly asked provincial premiers to lift their bans, according to Nova Scotia Premier Tim Houston. The request comes as Ottawa and Washington work to finalize a broader trade agreement meant to ease months of cross-border tension. However, the deal still needs final approval from both governments before anything changes.

Carney Briefs Premiers on the New Trade Agreement

On Wednesday afternoon, Carney held a briefing with federal cabinet members and premiers across the country. During this call, he laid out the details of the tentative agreement reached with the United States. Nova Scotia’s premier confirmed that Carney specifically asked provinces to consider restocking American alcohol, pending a final sign-off.

Houston shared his own thoughts on the matter shortly after the briefing wrapped up. He acknowledged that the alcohol ban had clearly frustrated officials south of the border. In his words:

“It’s been an irritant something that has really bothered the United States for so many reasons. Whether Canadians will actually buy it when it gets back on shelves, that’s a whole other discussion,” said Houston.

That final point raises an interesting question for retailers. Even if provinces lift their bans, consumer habits may not shift back overnight. Many Canadians have spent months avoiding American products altogether, and brand loyalty can be slow to rebuild. Meanwhile, Carney addressed the broader significance of the agreement in a separate statement.

He noted that the new deal reinforces and builds on Canada’s existing trade advantages with the U.S. This framing suggests Ottawa sees the agreement as a win rather than a concession. Still, specific terms of the deal remain limited to briefings rather than public release.

Provinces Remain Split Over Selling American Alcohol Again

Almost every Canadian province currently keeps U.S. alcohol off its shelves. Only Alberta and Saskatchewan have avoided imposing a full ban since trade tensions escalated. As a result, the U.S. alcohol deal puts pressure on the remaining provinces to decide their next move quickly.

Ontario’s position remains especially notable given the size of its market. Premier Doug Ford has not yet responded publicly to Carney’s request. His silence stands out because he has been one of the most vocal critics of U.S. trade tactics throughout the dispute.

Ford defended Ontario’s ban firmly when Trump first announced steep new tariffs last month. He framed the fight in blunt terms, comparing the American president’s approach to schoolyard intimidation. According to Ford:

“He’s (Trump) nothing but a bully, that’s all he is, and you have to stand up to the bullies in the schoolyard or they’re going to take your lunch money,” Ford said late last month after Trump announced the new 50 per cent tariffs.

Given that history, Ford’s next move will likely draw significant attention. Other premiers may also wait to see how Ontario responds before adjusting their own policies. Consequently, the rollout of any changes could vary widely from province to province.

What Comes Next for the U.S. Alcohol Deal

Federal officials LeBlanc and Greer met again the morning after Trump paused his planned 50 per cent tariffs. That pause had been set to hit a wide range of Canadian goods at midnight. Instead, negotiators used the extra time to keep refining the draft agreement.

LeBlanc offered few specifics about the deal’s exact language during his latest update. He did, however, confirm one key detail that matters to Canadian farmers. Canada’s dairy supply-managed system will remain fully intact under the new terms.

This detail matters because dairy protections have long been a sticking point in Canada-U.S. trade talks. Preserving the system suggests Ottawa held firm on at least one major priority. Nonetheless, alcohol sales, tariff schedules, and other details still await confirmation.

For now, retailers and consumers alike are left waiting on a final decision. A half-empty shelf of American whiskey at Toronto’s LCBO on Queen’s Quay East already hints at what could change soon. Whether that shelf fills back up depends on how quickly premiers respond to Carney’s request.

With files from the Canadian Press.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *